Bachelor of Science in Environmental Planning
The Bachelor of Science in Environmental Planning is focused on the way societies plan, design, manage and regulate change in the built and natural environment. It includes the study of the rationale and the processes of societies to intervene, shape, organize and change natural and built environments in order to secure an agreed range of social, economic, and environmental objectives. It deals with the understanding of the operation and outcomes of land, property and development markets from a variety of perspectives, including the economic, financial, and legal aspects.
The BSEP program aims to provide students with theoretical knowledge and systematic study of the principles and methods of environmental planning. It is also envisioned to prepare and develop students in improving the welfare of people and their communities by creating a convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, attractive and ecologically-sustainable environment that contributes to economic prosperity of the present and future generations.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
· Explain and demonstrate how environmental planning operates within the context of institutional and legal frameworks.
· Generate integrated and well substantiated responses to spatial planning challenges.
· Explain the political and ethical nature of environmental planning and reflect on how planners work effectively within democratic decision-making structures.
· Explain the contribution that planning cam make to the built and natural environment and in particular recognize the implication of climate change.
· Demonstrate effective research, analytical, evaluative and appraisal skills and the ability to reach appropriate, evidence-based decisions.
· Recognize the role of communication skills in the planning process and the importance of working in an interdisciplinary context, and be able to demonstrate negotiation, mediation, advocacy and leadership skills.
· Distinguish the characteristics of a professional, including the importance of upholding the highest standards of ethical behavior and a commitment to lifelong learning and critical reflection so as to maintain and develop professional competence.
· Articulate the latest developments in environmental planning and allied sustainable environmental design disciplines.
· Shows awareness, understanding, and appreciation of professional, social and ethical responsibility and civil liability of environmental planners.
· Discuss broad and coherent knowledge and understanding in core planning practices.
· Demonstrate knowledge pertaining to sound environmental planning, sustainable environmental design, development, conservation and management.
· Conduct research for planning.
· Assist, prepare and implement plans for the natural and built environment.
· Analyze environmental planning issues and problems in the local, regional and global contexts, and possess adequate knowledge of the history and theories of environmental planning.
· Communicate orally, and in writing, using both English and Pilipino.
· Work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
· Articulate policies, strategies, practices, and solutions in preserving and promoting Filipino historical and cultural heritage.